Sunday, October 4, 2009

MERCHANT OF COOL

In the video we watched on Friday it essentially said the youth set the "cool" factor. That is, these companies study today's youth, find out what they like, what their into, and use their information they gathered from their teens and they come up with what's cool and market it hard. One of my favorite commercials that is a perfect example of marketing "cool" are Scion commercials. They incorporate music, art, and individuality. Their market is the stand out crowd, the ones who want to draw attention and people. The ones that want to be "cool."



I thought it was depressing how MTV and record labels and other media companies research us to manipulate us. It's kind of a double standard. They would hate for all of us to catch on and defeat their marketing. I'm happy to say that I feel there's a strong portion of my generation that want to learn more about media and understand it. I feel that we are choosing to not give in to the system. However I feel that the next generation is so consumed with being "cool" our efforts may be lost.

Here's a clip from a movie that really captures the medias agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment